What to ask your doctor before weight loss surgery?
Weight-loss surgery is done to help you lose weight and get healthier. After the surgery, you will not be able to eat as much as before. Depending on the type of surgery you have, your body may not absorb all the calories from the food you eat.
Below are some questions you may want to ask your doctor or nurse before you have weight-loss surgery.
What are the reasons someone should have weight-loss surgery?
- Why isn’t weight-loss surgery a good choice for everyone who is overweight or obese?
- What is diabetes? High blood pressure? High cholesterol? Sleep apnea? Severe arthritis?
Are there are other ways of losing weight that I should try besides surgery?
- What is a nutritionist or a dietitian?
- What is a weight-loss program? Why should I make an appointment to see one?
What are the different types of weight-loss surgery?
- What is the scar like for each type of surgery?
- Is there a difference in how much pain I will have afterward?
- Is there a difference in how long it will take to get better?
What is the best surgery to help me lose weight and keep it off?
- How much weight will I lose? How fast will I lose it? Will I continue to lose weight?
- What will eating be like after weight-loss surgery?
What can I do before surgery to lower my risk of complications? For which of my medical problems (such as diabetes, heart disease, or high blood pressure) do I need to see my doctor before the surgery?
How can I get my home ready before I go to the hospital?
- How much help will I need when I come home?
- Will I be able to get out of bed by myself?
- How do I make sure my home will be safe for me?
- What type of supplies will I need when I get home?
- Do I need to rearrange my home?
How can I prepare myself emotionally for the surgery? What types of feelings can I expect to have? Can I talk to people who have had weight-loss surgery?
What medicines should I take the day of the surgery? Are there any medicines that I should not take the day of the surgery?
What will the surgery, and my stay in the hospital, be like?
- How long will the surgery last?
- What type of anesthesia will be used? Are there choices to consider?
- Will I be in a lot of pain after surgery? What will be done to relieve the pain?
- How soon will I be able to get up and move around?
What will my wound be like? How do I take care of it?
How active can I be when I get home? How much can I lift? When will I be able to drive? When will I be able to return to work?
When will my first follow-up appointment be after surgery? How often will I need to see the doctor during the first year after my surgery? Will I need to see doctors other than my surgeon?
Gastric bypass – before – what to ask your doctor; Roux-en-Y gastric bypass – before – what to ask your doctor; Gastric banding – before – what to ask your doctor; What to ask your doctor before weight-loss surgery